Ancient city of Philippi

70 kilometers from Asprovalta

Ancient city of Philippi

The ancient town of Philippi is located 70 kilometers away from Asprovalta.

The first touch with this area took place in the year 1861 and was completed in the year 1956 by Greek archeologists. Important findings are the Egnatia Street, the ruins of the Roman market, the <prison> of the apostle Paul, as well as the ancient theatre which features a circular orchestra and built in evenly-structured lanes.

The town got its name in 356 B.C. from the father of Alexander the Great, Philippi Β’. The precinct of the city walls started from the top of the hill and as it proceeded to the southern slope, it encircled a part of the plain in the foothills.

The most ancient phase of the precinct, dates back to time of Philip II, and the newest to the reign of Justinian I (527-565 AD). The total length of the perimeter of the walls reaches 3.5 kilometers. The wall is reinforced by strong towers. Also the three gates that were found in the excavations are framed by towers.

Visitors have access only to the latest which has been named by the excavations the door of Neapoli, as this is where the road leading to the port of Neapoli begins (today, known as Kavala).

The archaeological site of Philippi can offer the visitor a mixed tour, since excavations have brought to light ruins from the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine and early Christian period.

The Octagon, the Roman Market, the early Christian basilicas, parts of the city walls, are the most famous of them.

Also the ancient theater of Philippi is equally a valuable and important monument. Located at the foot of the Acropolis hill and is based in the eastern wall of the city of Philippi.

Sources
http://www.kavala.gov.gr/web/guest/cityofkavala/museums

Photo Credits
Google maps

Related

Ancient Amfipoli

Ancient Amfipoli

At a distance around 23 kilometers from Asprovalta, going towards Kavala, after the bridge of Strimona, between the low hills, […]

read more »
Ancient Stagira

Ancient Stagira

The most important historical area of Halkidiki, the ancient Stagira, is located in the zone of Liotopi, just next to […]

read more »